Monday, March 27, 2006

Of Grace

Did anyone see Kimmie Meisner's world championship winning ice-skating program yesterday? If you didn't, try and find a rerun somewhere because that girl was amazing. There was just the most amazing beauty and grace to her movements - she made it all seem effortless.

Looking at her face as she skated, you could tell that she'd gone into her own inner space. I get that same feeling when I see shots of Shizuka Arakawa's golden performance at the Olympics, and those of several other stunning performers at the World Championships.

What has this all to do with writers? Well, I think writers do the same thing - go into their inner space - when they're in the zone, creating without conscious thought. Some people seem to fight this process, to try and make the story go where they want it to go. I think that's truly counter-productive. When something takes you to that inner space, you should hold on tight and go along for the ride. Who knows what you'll produce?

And talking about golden moments, let's all give a HUGE round of applause to my friend Bronwyn Jameson, who is a triple RITA finalist. Yes, that's right, triple! Go Bron!

p.s. That excitement I promised you? It's coming but not on this blog (I've been sworn to secrecy)...*g*


2 comments :

Cyn Bagley said...

Congratulations to all those who are really good at their jobs. ;-)

Nalini Singh said...

I totally agree Cynthia. :)