Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Of Redheads & Obsessions

It was a public holiday here yesterday. I think Japan must have the most or close to the most public holidays in the entire world. Not that I'm complaining.

Because I have a couple of close deadlines, I finished one book yesterday, took a break then moved on to the next within a few hours. It's a switch from paranormal to contemporary but my brain seems to be handling it well. However, I noticed something odd because of how closely I'd switched books.

Both my heroines are redheads. And the tentative release dates for both these books is April of next year. People are going to think I have an obsession with redheads. Let me set the record straight. I may have an obsession with Ichiro, but not with redheads.

I don't know quite how it happened, but Gabe & Jess's Story (the contemporary that still has no other title) has been a work in progress for a while. And Jess was a redhead from the start. Nothing I can do about it people - I just write what I'm told.

So, if anyone asks you if Nalini Singh is obsessed with redheads, feel free to direct them to this post. *g*

In my short break, I read a novella (because I didn't have time to read a whole novel). It was Diana Palmer's Calamity Mum, which is a bonus novella in the Aus/NZ release of Secrets In The Marriage Bed.

What can I say? I loved it. Diana Palmer rocks. And the reason she rocks is because she is completely and utterly non-PC. She writes fairy tales for grown-ups and I think that's why she's one of my favorite writers. I love fairy-tales. I also think I like her because she writes such strong heroes. That's what really makes a book work for me. What about you? Are you a hero or a heroine reader? (And are you obsessed with redheads?)

4 comments :

katie g. said...

I know I've said it before, but I love Diana Palmer. Half of my bookshelf in my room is full of her books (close to 100?). I guess if people think you're obsessed with redheads, they'll think I'm obsessed with DP. It could be worse ;)

Cyn Bagley said...

Some of my best Navy girlfriends were redheads. They were funny and crazy... It is the male redheads that you have to stay clear of. They are just plain mean crazy.

Anonymous said...

Nalini,
I wouldn't say that you have an obsession with redheads it is more like a coincidence or probably your inspiration to write strong heroines.
Jasmine on “Desert Warrior” was also a redhead one and that is one of my favorite stories.
So I guess it’s three times that you have redhead’s heroines.
Your characters are great very strong and I believe that redhead’s women have the tendency to have a strong personality so there you go, your excuse for redheads.

Nalini Singh said...

katie g. - obsessions are good things! One of my favorite books is by DP. I left it in NZ and every so often, I get this itch to read it and it's not there. I'm so looking forward to getting back to my stash. :)

Cynthia lol!

Milady - then you are so going to love Lucas from Slave to Sensation. No green hair but killer green eyes.

Barbara - that's an excellent excuse! I was actually thinking last night that Jasmine was also a redhead. :)