Monday, November 19, 2007

Sexiest Man Alive - Diana Holquist

I found out about Sexiest Man Alive via Jane's review on Dear Author. (It's a great review, so swing by that way for a much more in-depth look at the book.)

Here's the blurb that I grabbed from the author's website:

Jasmine Burns’s One True Love as destined by Fate is named Josh Toby. Of course, he might not be THE Josh Toby, the biggest movie star of the decade. After all, a shy girl like her could never be loved by a movie star like him? Could she?
The One True Love part comes from Jasmine's sister, Amy, who has a gift. She can touch a person and tell them the name of their destined soulmate. There's just one problem - she just gets a name. So if your one true love is John Smith, you're in trouble.

I really enjoyed
Sexiest Man Alive - at first blush it's a fun contemporary romance, but this book's got heart. I felt for Jasmine. Her shyness isn't put on or temporary, it's very much a part of her life. I absolutely loved the book's beginning - Jasmine trying to get over her fear of speaking to men by practising with a naked...Ken doll. (Go here to read the excerpt.)

And Josh Toby, the Sexiest Man Alive, surprised me. He was a movie star but he was also so sweet. I could totally see him and Jasmine making it. This book made me smile. :) Have any of you read it? Thoughts? Any other good contemporary recommendations?


p.s. I've roped the author into doing an interview. Look out for it on Wednesday! She's going to be spilling some deep, dark secrets...*grin*

10 comments :

loonigrrl said...

ohmigod, this sounds good! I'm stopping by the bookstore today :)

Anonymous said...

Let me know what you think! :)

p.s. Saw your comment about Wicked Lovely - wasn't it great?!

Diana Holquist said...

Hi Nalini.

Thanks so much for blogging about Sexiest Man.

I'm so glad you liked it. The Dear Author review was really interesting--very nuanced and thoughtful.

I just got Caressed by Ice in the mail today...can't wait to crack it open.

--Diana

Casee said...

I have Make Me a Match by Diana Holquist, but I haven't read it yet.

The last few days, I've been reading Cathie Linz. I highly recommend Good Girls Do, Bad Girls Don't, and Big Girls Dont' Cry. They're all great books. :)

Diana Holquist said...

I love, love, love the cover for Big Girls Don't Cry. I think it's my fav cover this year.

That cat. Gads.

Gorgeous.

I hope you like Make Me a Match. It was my debut novel, so it's a book that means a lot to me.

--Diana

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, Make Me A Match sounds good. Thanks for the recommend.

As for other good reads, I just finished the second in Lora Leigh's Nauti series, Nauti Nights, and it was fan-tastic. I made the mistake of starting it before going to work one day and, not only was I late to work because I had such a hard time putting it down, but I kept flashing on it during work ... which shot my concentration all to pieces. It's well worth checking out, but I'd read Nauti Boy first, since it's a series.

flip said...

I enjoyed Sexiest Man Alive. I also enjoyed the first book in the series< Make Me A Match.

If you want to read a contemporary, there are two good contemporaries available, On the Loose by Tara Janzen and Ice Storm by Anne Stuart.

Nalini Singh said...

Diana, hope you enjoy CBI!

Casee - I haven't read Make Me a Match but it's on my list. Thx for the other recs, too. :)

Jennifer - I am a HUGE Lora Leigh fan! At the moment I'm devouring the Breeds, but the Nauti books are going to be next I think.

Flip - thanks for the recs!

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good! I don't normally read contemporary, but I have to admit it does sound intriguing. Definitely adding it to the top of my TBR pile, and I can't wait to see her interview. Thanks Nalini!

Anonymous said...

Casee, a friend told me about your post, thanks so much for the positive comments on my book BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY! You made my day! Happy reading, Cathie Linz