Thursday, June 22, 2006

My Brilliant Haiku

catacombs jingle
fiercely, coolly, narrow late
fish fumbling, singing


Courtesy of the Haiku Generator. Obviously this masterpiece is computer-generated and
may therefore lack any sense of coherence - though the idea of catacombs jingling captures my imagination. Who's doing the jingling and what were they doing in the catacombs in the first place? And what about those fumbling fish? Deep meanings indeed.

Jokes aside, the haiku as an artform is both extremely difficult and extremely beautiful. As a novelist who writes thousands of words per book, it astounds me how people can put so much meaning into three small lines of text. Could you haiku?

4 comments :

Cyn Bagley said...

Yellow Daffodils
Ringed by an electric fence,
Wild in a horse pen.

I wrote this one in 2001.

Cyn Bagley said...

Another of my Haikus:

Mist and Fire: Firs grasp
Heaven’s leaking tears—
prancing foals

Nalini Singh said...

Cynthia, these are great. I really like the imagery captured by the second one especially.

Cyn Bagley said...

Thank you... I am trying to get back into the poetry. :-)