Friday, July 25, 2008

Jane's Warlord - Angela Knight

I picked up Jane's Warlord after seeing a review of Warrior and realizing they were set in the same world. I can't believe I waited this long to read this book! It's got so many of the elements I love - cool futuristic stuff, a likeable heroine, a villain who's scary enough to make things interesting, and of course, a hot hero!

Here's the blurb (from the author's website):

Reporter Jane Colby has seen a lot covering crime for the local paper, but the most recent murder is so brutal, it leaves even the most hardened detectives shaken.

Jane and the cops don't know it, but the killer is none other than Jack the Ripper. Turns out all the theories about those Victorian murders were wrong: Jack is actually a time-traveling cyborg psychopath named Kalig Druas. Now he's in Tayanita County - and he's set his sights on Jane.

Luckily, so has Baran Arvid, a genetically engineered warrior from the future. Baran and his talking wolf sidekick have been sent to protect her - and use her as bait to trap the killer.

None of this is good news to Jane, but she finds having a handsome bodyguard does have deliciously erotic benefits. Besides, Frieka the wolf is a scream.

Unfortunately, so is Jack.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on Warrior to see where Angela Knight takes this series. Happily, according to this video interview with the author, there's going to be a follow-up to Warrior next year, titled The Guardian.

So what are you reading at the moment?

13 comments :

Pamk said...

lol I am reading Warrior lol. And it rocks. I am about half way through it.

Gail Leinweber said...

Emma Holly's Catching Midnight. The hero is yummy.

Jenny Schwartzberg said...

I love both Jane's Warlord and Warrior. There are also some short stories set in that time. Check her blog. The next one is actually called Enforcer I think. She moved Guardian to the third book. More about that on her blog. I love her Mageverse books as well. Have you read those?

I recommend Emma Holly's Demon series that begins with The Demon's Daughter. I'm not big on her other books though.

Oh, another author that I would recommend is Diane Whiteside for her historical Devil series. I haven't tried her vampire series.

I can hardly wait for July 29th when a lot of new books I'm greedily looking forward to hit the bookstore shelves!

Kerry said...

I'm currently rereading Gabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair, in anticipation of the sequel, Shades of Dark, coming out on the 29th.

Anonymous said...

I read Jane's Warlord a couple years ago, and it wasn't really my cup of tea. I just read the review for Warrior on All About Romance, and the plot seems really similar, so I probably won't go for it.

I'm currently re-reading the Twilight series. I forgot how emotional it is, I'm getting all choked up at the bits with Bella and Jacob having a heart-to-heart. I've preferred Edward for the longest time, but I dunno anymore...*g* Can't wait for the movie.

Anonymous said...

Helen says...

I love Jane's Warlord!!! I picked it up a few years ago randomally and since then I have loved reading Knight's books!!! I highly recommend the mageverse series she writes if you haven't read those yet!
I also totally agree Daphne, Stephenie Meyer's books with Bella and Edward are awesome, only 7 days before the last one is released! YEAH!! I am so happy I work at a small bookstore our party that night will rock and I will be up until dawn reading Breaking Dawn, pun totally intended!! Have fun everyone!!

LoL helenhikaru

Sweet said...

I stayed up really late last night bawling my eyes out reading His Perfect Woman by Kay Stockham. It was one of the best books I've read in a long time.

ShellBell said...

I read Jane's Warlord, and Warfem earlier this year and had enjoyed them both. I'm glad that AK has kept on with this world, albeit a spin-off from the original books. Warrior was a very good read, and although no release date has been announced as yet I have Enforcer on my release date list!

I have just finished Julia Quinn's The Lost Duke of Wyndham. Next up is Highlander's Challenge by Jo Barrett

Unknown said...

Thanks for the interview. I've been trying to find out when Guardian is coming out so I was pleased to find out next may.

Nalini Singh said...

Success! I have "Warrior" in my hot little hands, but I'm saving it for my plane trip - 13 hours!!

Anonymous said...

Nalini, even though you are going to the RWA I do NOT envy you the 13-hour plane ride :)

I just (this morning) finished reading Jessica Andersen's NightKeepers. Now for a complete change I have picked up With Red Hands, the second book in the Violet series by Stephen Woodworth. (For those not in the know, 'violets' are those humans with violet-coloured irises who able to interview/channel dead people.)

orannia

Heather said...

Thanks for the review of this series, I love her Mageverse series, but haven't check out this series yet.

I have four books in my TBR pile right now that I am working on...J.D.Robb's bok Strangers in Death, Sandra Hill's Viking Unchained , Alyssa Day's Atlantis Awakening, and Alexis Morgan's Dark Warrior Unleashed. As soon as I am finished with them I hope to have them up on the blog.

Kris said...

I really enjoyed that book. I just finished reading Enforcer and enjoyed that one as well. Hope you like it.