Saturday, April 14, 2007

Time Travel

Have any of you seen the movie, The Jacket, with Adrien Brody? I watched it last night and it's really good - sort of spooky and involving an element of time travel. I know a lot of people get caught up in paradoxes when time travel is involved, but I have no problem suspending disbelief to enjoy this type of story. I really liked The Lake House too.

But when it comes to time travel in books, I'm pickier. One of my all time favorite books, Remembrance by Jude Deveraux, involves time travel. This really worked for me because the two characters were literally soulmates - it didn't matter which bodies they were in, they were meant for each other, and they kept finding each other through time.

What often doesn't work for me is if one of the two characters returns to the future and then falls in love with the descendant of the original hero/heroine. I think it's the same idea of soulmates, but often, there's not enough time at the end of the book to see the connection between the two characters. And I keep thinking about the one left behind - who will they love? It takes a very well written story for me to get over this hurdle.

What's your take on time travel? Does it work for you?

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Nope, I'm not a big fan of time-travel stories (though as hubby points out I'm addicted to Dr Who).
I don't mind if it's a fairly simple story but when if you've got psuedo science to contend with and loads of potential paradoxs I start groaning.

I've not seen The Jacket. I rather liked The Lake House though it was a sweet if slow film.

~The soulmate idea always appeals to me part of the reason I like paranormals so much there's just something about a love that carries through all obstacles even time.
~I'm more wary of characters out of their time romances.
~Really don't go with the love the descendant idea at all; to me that's accept the cheap replacement deal. You love one person can't have them but oh here's a lookee-like? It demeans the descendant who could only ever be a comparison, and as you say what of the poor lost love; though I guess they must find someone to console themselves for there to be a present day replacement of themselves. mm now I have really wierd scenarios running through my brain!
'you're a hag. But I fear we must marry and birth a son; that he in turn may pass my alpha genes into the millenium and one of my line may meet and marry my one true love'
'ooo you sweet talker you'


Yep, I need to get out more LOL, signing out now :o)

Anonymous said...

Off-Topic ~ noticed a cover on Romance by the Blog: http://www.romancebytheblog.blogspot.com/
for Lucy Munroe book The Italian's Suitable Wife; picture should look familar to you!

Anonymous said...

Time Travel...huh...never really thought about it much. If it's done really, really well then I'll read it. One of my favorite time travel books is the Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux. I used to LOVE her stuff, until I became an adult & realized it wasn't my style.

However, the Summerhouse is great, because it's all about making choices & what could have been changed. If you haven't read it, I do recommend it. :)

Nalini Singh said...

Clare - wow, how interesting about the cover!!

Kaitlin - I've read the Summerhouse (love JD) and I agree. It's a wonderful book. :)

Creativity Vacuum said...

I'm not a real big fan of time travel romance but I will read them on occasion. What I do dislike about them is when the hero/heroine decide to stay in the past.

I think it's just too unrealistic to expect anybody to live without indoor plumbing. Or TiVO.

LesleyW said...

Hmmm, I must admit I also probably wouldn't seek out a book about time travel. Having said that, when it's done well, it can be spectacular.

LOL - I think everyone knows by now my favourite book is The Time Traveler's Wife, which is a slightly different take on time travel.

Also Diana Gabaldon's Outlander is another time travel book I would recommend.

I have read Remembrance by Jude Deveraux, it's on my bookshelf and I remember there's a certain part that always has me crying. I also quite like Linda Howard's Son of the Morning.

LesleyW - back from holiday. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't look for time travel stories, but if I happen upon them I don't mind. I loved The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and Summerhouse by Jude Deveraux. I agree with you it's about how well they're written.