Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Golden Rose / Good books & Patience

Below is the post I intended to put up today but first some awesome news: Slave to Sensation has won a Golden Rose Award from Love Romances And More! How very cool!!! Thanks to everyone who voted for StS.

Okay, onto what I intended to talk about before getting that shot of happy news. :)

First of all, hope everyone had a great long weekend! I did lots of reading so you'll be getting some book posts over the next few days. Aside from Tessa's wonderful debut book, I read an ARC of Tanner's Scheme (Breed series) by Lora Leigh (loved it!) - but I'll wait to post in detail about that closer to the release date of August, and Laura Lee Guhrke's And Then He Kissed Her (loved it!). I also have a couple of other ARCs that I'm dying to get to, so I might sneak one in this week.

Anyway, as I was writing this post and mentioning the above great reads, it struck me that you might all think I love everything I read. Nope, not true. I only tend to mention the books I've enjoyed reading, because those are the only ones I finish these days.

There used to be a time when I'd make myself read to the end no matter what. But over the past few years, my reading time has become more and more precious, until now, if a book doesn't hook me within the first chunk I read (how many pages varies from book to book), I tend to move on to something else.

Are you all the same? Or are you more patient? What makes you want to keep reading on if you do?

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

It depends on how bad the book is. I've had a few that just irritated the hell out of me and I put them down. There have been others that a morbid curiosity has overtaken me and I've suffered through. I try to post about both on my blog but make a huge effort not to bash the author.

Lis said...

Congratulations on the award! :)

I'm not a very patient reader lately. Maybe because of my towering TBR pile, but if its not keeping me interested I'll put it at the bottom of the pile and try it again later. Could just be the mood I'm in, one book I later loved it took me three tries to get through it.

Misty Williams said...

Congrats Nalini! It has to grab me in the first chapter, if it's someone new I'm reading. :)

Misty

May said...

I've learnt that it's not necessary to finish every book.

But the upside is that it means most of the books I do read are good.

Shelley Munro said...

Congrats on the award, Nalini. I loved Slave to Sensation and have Vision on my TBR pile. It's not nice mentioning an ARC of Lora Leigh's. I'm terribly jealous since I've turned into a big LL fangirl.

I'm with you about not finishing a book if it doesn't grab me. I used to faithfully finish each book, but now with limited time, it's on to the next.

Bronwyn Jameson said...

Congrat's on the Golden Rose, Nalini. But Best Category Romance? That's too funny!

Anonymous said...

If the book doesn't hold my attentsion, or I find myself re-reading the same paragraph over and over I'll never read the whole thing. But it its kind of interesting I'll probably read it all the way.