Friday, January 12, 2007

Warprize - Elizabeth Vaughan

Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan caused a huge buzz when it came out, but somehow, I missed it. I read it only a few weeks ago on the recommendation of friend and fellow author, Shelley Munro, and I loved it!

Here's the blurb:
She must choose between her people and her freedom...

Xylara is the Daughter of the Warrior King, Xyron. With her father dead and her incompetent half-brother on the throne, the kingdom is in danger of falling to the warring Firelanders.

Before she was old enough for a marriage-of-alliance, Xylara was trained as a healer. She can't usurp her brother or negotiate a peace--but she can heal the brave ones injured in battle.

But not only her countrymen are wounded, and Xylara's conscience won't let Firelander warriors die when she can do something to save them. She learns their language and their customs and tries to make them as comfortable as possible, despite their prisoner-of-war status.

She never expects that these deeds, done in good faith, would lead to the handsome and mysterious Firelander Warlord demanding her in exchange for a cease-fire. Xylara knows must trade the life she has always known for the well-being of her people, and so she becomes..
I know exactly why people were so excited about this book. It's a fresh new world, with great characters. Keir is a wonderful warlord of a hero. And Lara is a heroine you want to cheer on as she finds her way through the warrior camp of an enemy.

Their developing relationship is beautifully drawn and sucked me in from the start. Lovely book. Anybody else read it? Opinions?

12 comments :

Anonymous said...

Every year I try to find a new author that blows me away with their writing. It doesn't have to be a first time author, just someone I haven't read before. :)

In 2005 I had two authors, and one of them was Elizabeth Vaughn for Warprize.

I was just completely drawn into Xylara's world.

I heard about it through word of mouth on several different yahoo author lists. Very glad that I decided to buy it. And looking forward to the release of Warlord (the last book in the trilogy) this year.

Lesley

Anonymous said...

I've just bought this recently but haven't got to it yet. Glad to hear that it is enjoyable!

Angela James said...

I really loved this book. I read it when it was first released. I just re-read it in December and then read the second, which I didn't love as much but I did like. That said, I cannot wait for the final book in the series!

And I want to know who Lesley's second author for 2005 was ;)

Nalini Singh said...

Me too!

Anonymous said...

I read this when it first came out and loved it. I bought the follow up book as soon as it was released and it's lost somewhere in my giant TBR pile. *sigh* I'll have to go digging for it.

wandergurl said...

I read this and I loved it. I am afraid to read the sequel though, because I have heard that its a let down and she becomes a TSTL type heroine. I think I might wait for part three and read that!

Anonymous said...

Second author for 2005 was J.R.Ward for Dark Lover. :) And I've since become a huge fan of her Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

And Nalini you were my author for 2006. :)

Anonymous said...

Wandergurl,

I can see how some people think she is TSTL in book 2. I do think she makes some choices that with hindsight were wrong. But I think if she had to make them again based on the same information she had at the time, she'd make the same decisions.

I think she remained true to the character who appeared in the first book, who was prepared to treat the wounded of the enemy.

What I try to bear in mind when reading it, is that I think for Xylara healing is not just something that she does well. It is her vocation. And as such it is something bigger than she is, she doesn't just choose to do the bits that are easy. She has to make difficult decisions and it's shown that she is fallible.

I do think the second book is not as strong as the first, but the first was so outstanding (for me) that it would have been difficult to surpass it. And second books in trilogies can be tricky.

LesleyW

Kris said...

I have been wanting to read this book, but have not gotten it yet. But I have heard great things about it. Can't wait to read it.

Nalini Singh said...

LesleyW, thank you!

I agree about the 2nd book in a trilogy being tricky. That's why I sometimes like to wait until the whole trilogy's written and I can go 1,2,3. But do I have the patience this time around hmmmm

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to review the final book Warlord. All I can tell you is that it is one of those books that will have you glued to the end but at the same time wish that the story continued on forever.

Ann N

Anonymous said...

I read 1 & 2.

I thought it was interesting how Lara's strength (her conviction that she must heal everyone regardless of their social status, etc.) from #1 turned into a fatal flaw in #2. I can't wait for #3. (And I want Keir to kill or maim that smug blond bast@rd!!!!!)