Tuesday, November 15, 2005

A Princess Weds

Today's a special day in Japan because Princess Nori of the Imperial family is to be wed. Last night on t.v. they showed her taking her formal farewell from her parents, because after her wedding to a commoner, she will officially no longer be a princess. Wearing a tiara and a gown, she looked very princess-like.

I admit I find myself fascinated by the whole thing, just like I was when the Danish prince wed an Australian (how cool was that?!). I think it's the whole fantasy aspect of it - royalty seems frozen in amber in a sense, living out of place and time. Their lives are often ruled by rituals and behaviors that are no longer part of the lives of normal citizens, and often there is a slow regality to their existence that's at odds with the way the rest of us live.

Maybe that's why royals continue to exist even in times when democracy has pretty much taken over all major states once ruled by them. They remind us of magic, of times long gone when we imagine that things were less frantic, less practical. And we don't want to cut off that last thread to an illusionary magical past.

Or maybe, it's because we hang on to the childish dream that so long as there are princes in the world, we too could one day become princesses.

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

Nalini!
Have you ever thought of writting a royal story?

MicheleKS said...

I think it's sweet and romantic. And kind of funny when they said they said she'll be grocery shopping now. You just don't think of princesses, even former princesses doing that.

Nalini Singh said...

Bina - she's actually getting a generous settlement from the royal family, so no poverty! :)

Nalini Singh said...

Barbara - oh, yes! I would love to do a royal story. I've had one ticking in the back of my mind for a while but I'm giving it time to percolate some more. I loved writing Desert Warrior and that was royal, but I'd also like to do a European royalty one.

Nalini Singh said...

Michele - isn't it so cute? One of my friends said that the papers also mentioned her learning to use a vacumn! :)

From interviews I've seen, she seems like a very sweet person, so I hope she enjoys life on the "outside".

Anonymous said...

Nalini!
I love the Desert Warrior. It is a great story. I will love to read a European royal story written by you. Let me tell you with those strong heroes that you create, you will be great to write a European royal story so think about it.

Nalini Singh said...

Thanks, Barbara. I'm definitely thinking about it so watch out! :)

Bronwyn Jameson said...

I agree with Barbara, Nalini. You would write a FANTABULOUS royalty story -- if I didn't think that already, this blog entry would have convinced me!

Nalini Singh said...

Aw, Bron, what a nice thing to say. :) You guys have really got the wheels turning in my mind now.