Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fashion Show

I recently went to my first real live fashion show. It's NZ Fashion Week at the moment, and the boatsheds down at the Viaduct Harbour have been turned into showrooms, complete with catwalks and seating.

Being the writer I am, I was people-watching and all my preconceptions of who attends fashion shows went out the window. Of course there were the fashionistas, and the people who were clearly buyers, or media. But there was a huge range of other folk (of which I was one), who came along for the show. And it truly was a show - there was so much to look at, from the makeup on the models, to the clothing (of course), to the way the catwalk was lit up, and the reactions of the people watching.

Not only did I have a fun time, I felt like my eyes had been opened to a whole new world. One of these days, I'm going to use a fashion show in a book, so look out! Personally, I enjoy books that give me a hint of a new or different world, so long as the information doesn't overload the story. Do you guys have any favorites in terms of books that explored an area that you weren't familiar with?

2 comments :

Unknown said...

True Betrayals by Nora Roberts really got into the horse racing world. That was fascinating to me.

Janet Evanovich's Plum series, while funny, still gives an interesting look at bounty hunters.

Those are the only ones that pop to mind - I'm in a fantasy/sci fi phase right now, so other worlds in this case literally means other worlds.

Nalini Singh said...

Erin, that's funny because I've just finished reading Angels Fall by Nora Roberts. Great book, and while it's not set in another world, I loved how she gave us an insight into the mind of a cook/chef. It just seemed so realistic - I could hear the heroine muttering about the wrong kind of pots and not having fresh cilantro.