Monday, May 28, 2007

Paheli

I'm a huge fan of Bollywood movies and I know some of you also watch them. Have any of you seen Paheli (translation: The Riddle)? It's a sweet, funny love story, and it might appeal to those of you who like paranormals.

The plot is based on an old Rajasthani folk tale. Lachchi is a new bride and Kishan her husband. Kishan is only interested in business so on the day after their wedding, he leaves to go work far away...for five years! In the meantime, a spirit has fallen in love with Lachchi. Learning that Kishan will be gone for five years, he takes on Kishan's form and enters Lachchi's life, and their love story begins. But what will happen when the real Kishan returns?

The movie plays out like a fairytale, and it's shot that way too. The colors are amazing and the sets are wonderful, straight out of ancient India. I think you need to believe in a little bit of magic to enjoy this story. All I can say is, I most definitely did. :)

5 comments :

danetteb said...

This looks good,I'll see if my brother can get it from netflix.

Jaya said...

I've seen Paheli, its a pretty decently made movie ,but the ending utterly pissed me off, because it was so unfair to the real (human) husband. I know we are supposed to let our brain go when you watch a bollywood movie, but still, the minute you actually think about the ramifications of the ending, you get outraged...atleast, i was:D If they wanted to give a ride-off-into-the- sunset ending (which was really hard to do given the original storyline), they should have gone another route.

Nalini Singh said...

Let me know what you think Danette.

Jaya - I did wonder about the ending but then being a writer, I worked out a total HEA in my own head. *g* It's a good movie in that it does make you think after you've finished watching it.

Barbarita V said...

I watched this movie more than once and I love it. I highly recomended to anyone whu wants to have a great time with music, romance and a hint of paranormal.

Simren said...

I've seen Paheli...
I liked it, because I like any movie with Rani Mukherjee...:)