Monday, November 20, 2006

Interesting Book

I read Death of a Thousand Cuts by Barbara D'Amato last week and really enjoyed it - not just in terms of the suspense aspects, but in its setting and characters.

What made this book stand out for me is that the murder takes place during a reunion at Hawthorne House, which 15 years ago, was renowned for its work with autistic children. Now, the founder is dead and the suspects are the teachers and more interestingly, the students, who came to the reunion.

I knew a bit about autism before reading this book, but I know a lot more now. But at no stage did it feel like I was being inundated with information. The author weaves the ex-students' lives and realities seamlessly into this whodunnit. And the fact that it's set mostly in the rambling Hawthorne House just provides an extra layer of spookiness. A big thumbs-up from me if you're looking for a suspense read with a difference.

So, what've you been reading lately?

No comments :