Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Squirrels

Today, I'm going to blog about squirrels.

Why?

Because I have nothing to blog about and I decided that squirrels are as good a topic as anything else. I've challenged myself to write at least a hundred words on the topic. The thing is, I've never actually seen a real, live squirrel. I once saw something that kind of looked like a tiny version of a squirrel up on a mountain near Lake Tah
oe. It was sooooooo cute, but my cousin told me that it was an evil flying rodent-like creature that was a pest, thus shattering my illusions. Actually not. I still think it was cute.
Getting back to squirrels - we don't have them in NZ. What we have a possums, which occupy the same size-niche in the ecosystem. And yes, they are a pest because they're not native to NZ. But cute furry pests.

In Japan, on the other hand, we have the tanuki - a kind of raccoon dog.
They live in all sorts of weird places. The other night on t.v. they showed a family of them that was living under the overhang of a subway train line!

So there you go, a blog about squirrels. Bet you don't see that everyday. And just because this was so much fun to write, I'm tagging you to put up a blog on a completely random topic. Make sure to leave a link in the comments so we can all go have a look-see.

4 comments :

MicheleKS said...

Nalini, I have plenty of squirrels where I live. They keep to themselves and don't bother anybody so they're alright with me.

Anonymous said...

LOTS of squirrels here. I have a squirrel feeding on a tree in my backyard. :) They're so cute.

Nalini Singh said...

See, I knew someone would appreciate my blog on squirrels!!

Gabrielle said...

Hey! I want a tanuki! Or maybe a chipmunk. I'm certain the cats would just lurrrrrve it ;-)