I'm delighted to present an interview with the fabulous Gena Showalter! We're talking about her amazing new series and Gena's agreed to swing by and answer any reader questions, so hit her with them!
1. Who is Gena Showalter?
I’ve always been a mix of the wallflower who wants to remain in the shadows and a quirky, attention-hogging wild child who craves compliments. How’s that for variety? I married my high school sweetheart, have three English bulldogs I adore (Mary Ann, Ginger, and Lovey), and am an avid romance reader.
2. You have a new series debuting this May – can you give us the lowdown?
I’ve taken the myth of Pandora and completely turned it upside down! I say the gods entrusted Pandora, the greatest warrior of her time, to guard the box. But a group of immortal warriors, her peers, fought and won it, opened it, and unleashed the horde of demons locked inside. Because of this, the gods punish each warrior to house a demon inside his own body. So the warriors become the box, so to speak. It’s not an easy pairing, either. There’s Violence, Pain, Disease, Wrath, Death, Doubt, Misery, Lies, Disaster, and so on.
N: I've been lucky enough to read books 1 & 2 in advance and they rock (and I'm not saying that just because I might possibly be in the dedication *grin*). I blogged about my reaction to book 1, here.
3. The first three books are going to release back to back—what did that mean for your writing schedule? (Keeping in mind that Gena writes demon-fast).
The first book was already written and the second one well on its way to be written when we decided to push back their release dates and do the back to back thing. So it was just a matter of writing the third. But still, that third had to be written very very quickly when I didn’t have the story figured out yet. So panic? Just a wee bit.
4. The series starts out in Budapest—why did you choose this city?
I love the mix of old world charm and modern style, the sense of mystery and mysticism.
5. Very Important Question: Who do you think is the sexiest Lord of the Underworld and why?
(Answer always subject to change.) Whoever I’m writing at the time is usually the one I’m most in love with. Right now that just happens to be Sabin, keeper of Doubt. He has a very dry sense of humor that I adore, and he’s always been one of those warriors who will do anything to win: cheat, fight dirty, whatever. He’s always put his war with his enemy first, but for once, for a woman, he’s going to have to rethink that.
6. Do you have a set number of books planned?
I think I could write these books forever, I love them so much.
7. Can you share any super-secret behind-the-scenes info on the series?
Sometimes death is only the beginning. All’s I’m sayin.
8. Since this is a new series, where can folks find out more info about it and your other books? Are there excerpts?
I’ve just launched a new Lords of the Underworld website! You can find it at www.lordsoftheunderworld.net There aren’t any excerpts up yet, but I plan to load them soon!
N: A three chapter excerpt has been added since we completed the interview!
9. And this one's for the fans of your other series'—will you be writing more books in those worlds, or are you focusing on the LOTU?
Next year, there will be a sequel to Playing With Fire -- Twice As Hot -- and the fourth book in the Atlantis series -- The Vampire’s Bride. If readers want more, it will be my pleasure to give them more!
10. Final question just for fun –hypothetically speaking, if a (gorgeous) man came up to you and told you he had a demon inside, what would you do?
After I kissed the breath out of him? Hmm, I’m not sure. Hard to say. Guess it’d be a wait and see situation :-)
N: Thanks for the interview, Gena. (Now, feel free to grill her mercilessly!)