Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday Book Club

Time to talk books!

I recently read Here Comes the Groom by Karina Bliss and absolutely loved it.
If Jocelyn Swann weren't so furious she'd probably laugh. Her best friend, Dan Jansen, has launched a campaign worthy of his Special Forces Training to arrange their wedding, from music and minister to flowers and food. What part of no does he not understand?

Their marriage agreement was a tipsy scrawl on the back of a coaster three years ago. It's not a question of love. Of course she loves Dan. She's loved him all her life. If only she could get him to slow down a minute and listen - to be the friend she needs right now - she could convince him that marriage would ruin everything.
Karina writes with such emotional intensity, and her characters are so beautifully textured that I just want to keep on reading about them.

As it is, I'm totally planning to stalk her ask her nicely until she gives me Stand-In Wife, the next book in her SAS series.

If you'd like to read a more in depth review, check out the one at Dear Author. Plus SBTB has chosen this book for their Sizzling Book Club, and Karina will be chatting with them January 25.

Also, some linkage: the lovely Jaci Burton is giving away a copy of one of the Guild Hunter books, and Casee at Book Binge just posted a fantastic review of Archangel's Consort!

What're you reading and loving this week?

15 comments :

elizabeth said...

Love the Guild Hunter series. Just entered the contest on Jaci's blog. Continued success with the Guild Hunter and Psy-Changling series.

Frak Me!!!! said...

Read Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning. Was a great end to the series. Book was fantastic. I was enraptured from the beginning and at over 500 pages well worth the hardcover price!!!!

Diane said...

Next week on Friday when you ask that question the answer will be a big "Archangel's Consort", finished and loved I'm sure but this week it's Robyn Carr's Wild Man Creek.

sitruu said...

Lisa Kleypas Hathaways series :)

Krystyn said...

The Irish Princess by Karen Harper. A really well-done historical novel about a women named Gera Fitzgerald of the Irish Fitgerald's (forcefully and fatally taken from power) as she lives and loves (Edward Clinton!) through the tyrranical times of Henry VIII, the mass killings of Bloody Mary, and the fairer reign of Elizabeth I.

Cherry said...

Read that as well. Thought it was cute. People always say the best marriages are people who were friends first. Not sure how true that is, but in this case, I could see why. I liked how they both had their demons that they couldn't face, yet they could take on each others without a second thought.

@Frak Me!!!! Read Shadowfever as well. Truly a great ending. I'm kind of sad it's over with.


What I'll be reading this weekend is one of my psychology textbooks. Trying to get a head start on classes next week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nalini
I am currently reading 'Covet by J R Ward' and after i finish that i will be starting on 'Crave By J R Ward'. I've also read and loved her Blackdagger brothehood series. and sooo excited for 'Archangels Concort' can't for it i've already pre-ordered it and cant wait for the release date,Yay.
Aimee From Greymouth NZ.

Anonymous said...

At the moment reading:
-Savor the Moment - book 3 of the Bridal Quartet Nora Roberts
-Craving Beauty -Nalini Singh
-Hot Spell - very hot short stories
That is it for this week

TracyW said...

I finally get to start reading Shadowdever when I get off work today. I can't wait!

kylie said...

For me, it's been KMM's Shadowfever since Tuesday . I'm taking my time since it's the last in the series (or is it?!!!). I think you'll know what's on tap for next week :p

Anonymous said...

I finally got my copy of Shadowfever from the library so that is what I'm starting to read today. I finished Bonded By Blood by Laurie London(I withhold opinion until the second book) and the Dead End Dating series by Kimberly Raye (so funny!)

Sheila

Lesley said...

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning, absolutely loved it and cannot get it out of my head. I'm off now to read Paranormalcy for my book club which I want to polish off quickly in time for Archangel's Consort of course.

I've been singing your praises at my book club Nalini!

Florentina said...

I've read "Hasty Death" by M.C.Beaton. A great book, the first (Snobbery with Violence) is already wonderful to read, but I enjoyed the second even more. I am totally looking forward to the next, but have to make a break, otherwise I wouldn't do anything for the University. :)

orannia said...

Nalini - all the best with the release of Archangel's Consort on Tuesday!

And I'm currently reading Peril's Gate (Janny Wurts). It's about to get...very grim :(

Claudia said...

I'm re-reading your Guild Hunter series in preparation for your newest one! And I've just finished reading another one of Karina Bliss' books, "What the Librarian Did" -- it's a really terrific book, and I can't recommend it highly enough.