Monday, October 30, 2006

Creatures from Outer Space and Cell Phones

My workspace is currently being fumigated because somehow tiny, tiny, tiny biting insects have infiltrated it. I feel like a human pin-cushion! Ouch.

But in better news, I finally bought a cell phone. I've always been a bit on the fence about cell phones. They're great for calling for roadside assistances when the car breaks down or for checking directions, but the whole always-available thing doesn't quite work for me.

Then again, getting a fun unexpected message from a friend is always nice, and I must admit that living in the boonies in Japan, I was quite attached to my little phone, especially since it could receive messages from New Zealand. Hmm... What's your take on this marvel of modern technology?

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

where can i buy the book desert warrior, i read it and it made me want to read all the time. its amazing how u captured so many people inner feelings and actions that they are too afraid to show

Nalini Singh said...

Hi Anon! I'm so glad you loved DW, as I absolutely adore that book. I liked the world so much I returned to it in Craving Beauty.

Re how to get hold of DW - have a look at this page of my website (scroll to the bottom) where I discuss that question. Drop me an email if you have any other questions. :)

Emma Sinclair said...

I like the fact that I can call someone whenever I need to, but don't like the fact that I can be reached all the time.

I'm just impossible to please.

Good luck with the fumigating. I've got big scary bugs in my office - they're kind of bettle like. I think I'd rather not see them even if they did bite me.

Nalini Singh said...

Ergh, beetles?!!!!

Racy Li said...

It is crazy what you can do with cell phones. And it is crazy where they work. When I was backpacking and trekking the jungles of Cambodia? No problems calling home to NYC. Standing outside of Penn Station? Fuggedaboutit!

Nalini Singh said...

Lol, Racy! I gotta ask - what were you doing with a cellphone in the jungles of Cambodia??