Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Spontaneous Human Combustion

Ever thought about spontaneous human combustion (SHC)? It's not the sort of thing most people think about (probably because it's a bit odd), but it's often used in paranormal type shows on t.v. - think X Files. I'm in the middle of reading a thriller right now and the authors have a lot of mentions of SHC in it, referencing Dickens' research among other things.

Now, being the curious sort, I wondered if it was all real or made up (this being a fictional novel after all), so I looked it up...and found that their references were from real events, which totally blew me away. Reality is indeed sometimes way stranger than fiction could ever be.

Am I the only person who does this - looks up things in novels that catch my attention - or do some of you share the same curious streak? Found anything interesting as a result of it?

1 comment :

Nalini Singh said...

I loved that character, creepy as he was!